We answer your Frequently Asked Questions
First Time Answers:
We charge by the hour, half day, or full day. We also have three 30 minute specials. You can find the pricing for those by clicking here!
We have a 1 hour minimum (except for the specials) and after that first hour time is billed in 5 minute increments.
When it is 6 hours or less of booked time, you will pay for what you use. If you book more than 6 hours, you will pay for the full amount of time booked if you use less. Example: You book 6 hours and it takes you 3, you will pay for the 3 hours. If you were to book 8 hours and use 2 hours, we would have you pay for the 8 hours.
Why do we make 6 hours the split? Because after 6 hours it becomes difficult to book reservations as many people request 6 hour slots as they like to do a few jobs at one time. Therefore when you book more than 6 hours and use less, we likely had to turn someone away to accommodate your reservation.
We’ve been there too! Everyone has, and we want to help you with this big step that most people aren’t willing to take. We offer free expert advice to anyone who rents a bay from us. We also offer lesson videos on our YouTube Page. You can learn how to do all the standard maintenance called for by your car’s manufacturer and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
We also provide access to AllData online auto repair manuals free with each bay rental.
Reservations are not required but we strongly recommend you make one. If you do not have a reservation, you may drop in and see if there is any availability. Drop–ins may be limited to the type of lift available and may have time constraints as well.
If you do make a reservation, your appointment is between the start and stop time. We will guarantee you the time between those points. You will not be guaranteed any time after the end time unless you request extra time and it is available. Example: You book from 1pm-2pm, we guarantee you that time, but nothing outside of it.
Most mechanical jobs can be done at Stew’s Self Service Garage! Here’s a list of some examples, but by no means are these the only things you can do.
● Alternator Replacement
● Battery Replacement
● Ball Joint Replacement
● Brake Caliper Replacement
● Brake Pad Replacement
● Oil and Filter Change
● Radiator Replacement
● Serpentine Belt Replacement
● Spark Plugs Replacement
● Starter Replacement
● Strut and Shock Replacement
● Thermostat Replacement
● Timing Belt Replacement
● Transmission Fluid Change
● Water Pump Replacement
About The Garage Answers:
- A 450+ piece tool set
- Heated space (In the winter, at least 16 feet wide and 25 feet deep)
- A 10 foot work bench
- Garbage bucket
- Waste fluid disposal
- Waste part disposal
- Specialty tool access
- Access to vehicle specific repair guides
- Multiple electrical outlets
- USB charging ports
- 50ft extension cord
- A pair of 9mil gloves
- Shop Towels
- A shelf above the workstation to keep your phone, tablet, or watch handy but safe
- Amazing customer service
- And more
Sorry, we do not have a paint booth or alignment equipment. Due to environmental, health regulations, and cleanliness issues, painting or undercoating of any kind is not permitted at Stew’s Self Service Garage. AC work is also not available to be done due to environmental regulations. If you need a paint booth contact Pacific Auto Machine @ 425-226-0930, they rent a paint booth in Renton, WA.
This answer is always ‘yes‘. Working on your own car can be fun, satisfying, nice to your wallet, and easy with the right tools, space, and resources. Here at Stew’s Self Service Garage we strive to make sure you have everything you need to succeed with your auto repair be it your first, or countless, time you have worked on a car.
We have all the tools you need to complete a wide variety of projects on your car. We ask that you leave your tools at home so we don’t have any mix-ups. If you want to use your own tool set, we do allow it, but we will keep the tool box in the bay locked. If you have vehicle specific tools for a project, that is fine. Our goal is to avoid mixing of sockets and wrenches, etc. Please note, the pricing does not change if you use your own tools.
We provide a 450+ piece tool set with every bay rental. We also keep an assortment of specialty tools available in our tool room.
Tools are just part of what you need to do your repair. You might also want some shop towels, parts, or fluids. We either stock it or will order it so it’s here when you arrive!
We can accommodate just about any time period you need. We understand some projects can take days or even weeks. Maybe you don’t need weeks worth of time, but a few days can be a real possibility. We ask that you contact us through our Contact Page for inquiries about longer rentals.
We understand that sometimes projects don’t go according to plan and take longer than expected. We have several options available such as storing your vehicle inside or outside (some conditions apply) but whatever option you choose must be arranged before closing time. If you want to stay past closing time, below are the details on that.
- The after hours rate is $240 per hour.
- There are no discounts or hourly specials during the after hours rate.
- You will sign an after hours agreement every time you stay past our closing time.
- Closing time is 9pm unless otherwise posted.
- You will pay and close your current bill by 9pm and a new after hours ticket will be opened.
How can you avoid this?
- Know how long your work will take, and if you can’t finish by 15 minutes before closing, start planning to return to finish at another time.
- Bring a friend to help! Friends can make things go faster, and be more fun
- Ask for advice sooner rather than later. We are here to help answer questions and provide guidance.
- Heed the time notices that are given out. Your first warning will come at 8pm, and every 15 minutes after that.
- Have the bay completely cleaned up and be approved for check out by 5 minutes before closing time.
- There is a $10 per night fee to leave your vehicle in the parking lot.
- The first night in the parking lot is free.
- Your vehicle can be left in the parking lot for a maximum of 14 days. To reset the 14 day clock the car must be off the premises for at least 24 hours.
- At the end of 14 days your vehicle will be towed from our lot. The end of 14 days is 7:30pm the 14th day after your vehicle first went into the parking lot.
Ready To Be Your Own Mechanic?
Book your appointment online!
Open 9am to 9pm, closed Wednesdays
Click the button below to get started!
Still Have Questions?
Give us a call (425)-600-4349
Open 9am to 9pm, closed Wednesdays
Last car into garage at 7:30pm